Friday, March 6, 2015

WINTER CYCLING CLOTHING GUIDE - What you need to ride year-round!

Most people think of cycling as a warm weather activity. In fact, if you live in a cold climate country, you might've even heard that cycling season runs from April to October (northern hemisphere, of course!) Many cyclists put their bikes away just as the autumn leaves begin to drop and only venture out for a ride again as the flowers begin to bloom. But it doesn't have to be that way! I am a year-round cyclist and have gone out for bike rides even when the temperature has dropped well below freezing.
All it takes is the right clothing and the willingness to enjoy riding in cold weather.

Cycling can be a year-round activity
with the right mentality and the right clothing! 

There are three basic guidelines to follow when dressing for a cold weather bike ride. First, you should dress in layers. Each layer serves a different function and the air in between each layer will also have an insulating factor. Dressing in layers also gives you the opportunity to adjust on the run, by removing a layer in case the temperature rises more than expected. Second, wind and moisture are your enemy. Your outer layer should be able to block wind/rain/snow. Your base layer should also protect you from moisture, in this case, by wicking away any perspiration from your skin. And the third guideline is to avoid wearing any tight clothing. As the temperature drops, it is important to make sure your clothing is loose enough not to prevent any circulation. And as mentioned earlier, any air in between your layers of clothing will make you feel a lot warmer!
Now, if you commute by bike, or just ride your bike around town as a means of transportation, those principles also apply to you. But for shorter distances (say, less than 10kms ride to work) you probably won't need to go out and buy winter cycling specific gear. Just make sure to wear gloves, some sort of facial protection, and you will be surprised how you can still make it to work throughout most of the year with the winter clothing you would wear anyways. However, if you want to ride longer distances, enjoy cycling trips, or keep in form for the next race season without being a slave to the trainer, here is my guideline for appropriate winter cycling attire:


25ºC/77ºF - Standard cycling kit! Smiles all around!
Sunny and Beautiful! 25ºC/77ºF - Let's start with the most typical cycling attire and build from there. Designed for comfort, aerodynamics and to keep moisture from your body, your standard cycling kit will not work too well to keep you warm as the temperatures start to drop...


10ºC/50ºF - A little chilly. Cover things up! Still smiling a bit!
Cold! 10ºC/50ºF - Summer is winding down and temperatures are dropping faster than your willingness to put the bike away. Most cyclists will still find themselves riding around this temperature, even if not intended! At this temperature, you should already have all your body covered, so arm warmers and leg warmers are added. The light cycling socks and fingerless gloves are now replaced by light merino wool socks and full fingered gloves. As I am budget minded, I already use my cold weather long sleeve base layer and cold weather tights under my standard kit. That's my basic foundation to build on as the temperature drops further.


0ºC/32ºF - Things get serious! But winter will not keep me down!
Really Cold! 0ºC/32ºF - Now it's literally freezing and most cyclists are staying away from the roads! This is when you really start to tap into the quiet peaceful winter rides. At this point, you should add some protection around your face. A balaclava does a great job at keeping the cold air away from your ears and neck. Eye protection is also necessary, even if you have perfect vision, as the dry cold air and wind will start to bother your eyes if you stay out for longer periods of time. I also start wearing my winter long-sleeve jersey on top of my standard kit. Not pictured above, is a neoprene shoe cover that slips over your cycling shoe. This is also the temperature, late in deep winter, that you can head out for a ride and start to feel relatively warm. I still remember some of my best soul-cleansing rides having taken place in sunny days with the temperature just above freezing.


-12ºC/10ºF - It's war! But that's as cold as I can handle!
Really Really Cold! -12ºC/10ºF - Now things are really serious, and even hardened cyclists are staying off the road. That's the coldest temperature I still typically go out for longer rides. At those temperatures, you must be serious about preparation. A cycling winter jacket, and heavy winter tights are now a requirement for me. I will even double up on wool socks at this point, but it is crucial that you don't make your feel too tight (circulation is a huge issue at extremities). I purchased the warmest cycling gloves I could find at this point, while other cyclists even start looking a skiing gear! A heavy balaclava is used to protect my face, and I also apply vaseline at any exposed skin around my glasses.

Winter Cycling - less about the body, more about the soul!

As with anything in cycling, there is a certain level of experimentation that needs to take place before you find what works best for you. I found that my legs don't suffer too much with cold weather, but my hands and feet are definitely my weakest point, so I invested on very good gloves and shoe covers. And yes, there is a cost associated with all this gear, but if you search your local bike stores or online stores for bargain prices, you can purchase a pair of merino wool socks, winter tights, winter jersey, shoe-covers, gloves and balaclava for less than you would spend on a suit. In regards to brands, when looking at a purchase, I concentrate more on what is available, what is on sale and then research any on-line feedback for each model. I stay away from the cheapest products - as with most every in life, you do get what you pay for! For me, Castelli and Pearl-Izumi have proven to be the best value for winter gear thus far (my opinion might change once Rapha starts to sponsor me and starts sending me free stuff!!!!)

Now that you know what to wear for your next sub-freezing 100km bike ride, there are a few more things you should know...and we'll cover those next week!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment